[Qgis-user] Newbie Questions

Michael Lapson michael.lapson at ascendworldwide.com
Wed Sep 29 06:17:36 PDT 2010

>>  1. I tried doing this with Join Attributes and selecting the CSV file.
>>> However I found that when QGIS reads in the CSV file, it casts all of
>>> the columns as Text, so I couldn't use the numerical values. I notice
>>> the Join Attributes from CSV feature is new in QGIS 1.5.0. Maybe there
>>> is a bug?
>>>

>> you can do Joins with dbf tables. New join features are being developed.
>>

> In case you're using Excel 2007, you no longer have support for the
> (important) dbf format. So get a copy of Openoffice.org and use that to
> export your tables to dbf. Then number columns will stay as numbers for the
> import to QGIS.
> If there's any problem with the numbers being exported as text, then
> rewrite the column headers in the Excel (OOo Calc) to explicitly make them
> numbers in dbf format. For example a column header like:
> Value,N,10
> will force the dbf column to be numeric with 10 digits.

I am indeed using Excel 2007 and I am hoping for a workflow that goes
directly from Excel to GIS since I do that very often. I tried the
"Value,N,10" trick you describe above but I get an error that the field name
is longer than 10 characters. I assume the CSV table join feature will be
fixed in the next release of QGIS. Is there a way to report and track a bug
like this?

>>> 2. Eventually I will want to put my data into a database. I notice I
>>> can choose between SpatiaLite and PostGIS. Which is easier to use? Is
>>> there a performance difference?
>>>

>> among the others, Postgis is an extension of PostgreSQL, so is server
>> based, spatialite is file based.
>>

> In addition, Spatialite is easy. PostGIS will perform better on huge
> tables.

Thanks for your comments, I am going to try spatialite for now, but I might
switch if my files get bigger.

>>> 3. In ArcMap, I frequently used the capability to vary the thickness
>>> of line features according to a value in the attribute table. I notice
>>> that this capability is available in QGIS only for points ("drawing by
>>> field") but not for line features. Is there another way to accomplish
>>> variable thickness lines in QGIS? If not, is "drawing by field" for
>>> line features under development?
>>>

>> new symbology ->  advanced ->  size scale field
>>

> I can't seem to get this to work (1.5 on Ubuntu 10.04).

It didn't work for me either (1.5.0 Windows 7 x64)

What you can do is categorize the lines then manually give each a different
> line width. In the Old Symbology, choose "Graduated symbol", select the line
> width column and click Classify. Then change the width of each line. Or,
> Using the "New Symbology" , choose "Classified", then again select the
> column and click Classify. Then double click on each symbol to change its
> width.

Yes I have tried this and it is very tedious, but sort of works. Not really
the solution I was hoping for.

> Regards,
> Micha
>
>> cheers
>>
>> -- Giovanni --
>>
>> I really appreciate you guys taking the time to think about my questions
and I look forward to seeing continued development of QGIS.

Shalom and Ciao,

Mike

THIS TRANSMISSION INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If you are not the intended recipient or employee or agent responsible for delivering the transmission to the intended recipient, please notify us by return. Any distribution or copying of this document by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Ascend Worldwide Ltd cannot be held responsible for any alterations made to this document, intentionally or otherwise after transmission. Company Registration No. 06266443 England and Wales.