[Qgis-user] GDALdem, when?

John C. Tull jctull at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 16:39:36 PDT 2010

Hi Sergio,

I have not used "DEM relief shader", but there is also the "Shaded Relief" plugin. Additionally, a program called SimpleDEMViewer is available on OS X:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20636/simpledemviewer

For using gdaldem from the Terminal.app, here are some sample commands that I use to generate a color hillshade from gtopo dems:
gdaldem hillshade gtopo30.tif -z 10 temp.tif
composite -blend 50 temp.tif temp.tif temp2.tif
gdal_translate -co compress=lzw temp2.tif western_colorshade.tif
rm temp*

This assumes you have a file called 'scale.txt' in the same directory in which you are working. My scale.txt file has the following lines, but you can adjust based on the highest point in your region of interest (heights are in meters here):
3500 255 255 255″
2500 235 220 175″
1500 190 185 135″
700 240 250 150″