[Qgis-user] New user puzzled by GRASS Directory structure

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Apr 5 07:25:53 PDT 2011

Hi

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Wayne <foothill at megalink.net> wrote:
> I’m new to QGIS and the GRASS plug-in directory instructions.  Here is my
> situation.  I have forestry clients that are mostly in one county in the
> state.  However I some times have a client in a different county.  I have to
> create vector layers that are unique for each client.  I get all my resource
> layers from the State either via WMS or downloading specific vector and
> raster layers and these would be used for each client work.  Many of their
> layers are for the entire State not for just a part of the State (county).
>
> What would be the best way to set up the Location and Mapsets for this?
>
> Also, I see you need to define the Location bounds and you can use an
> existing layer to set the extent.   If I have a mix of layers I will get
> from the State—some the entire State and some a section.  Which layer is it
> better to choose for the Location bounds?

I'm not a grass expert and the use of locations and mapsets is
generally what most new users find most troubling I think. My
suggestion would be to poll the grass users list on this, but if you
are list averse. As a quick response, I would say that the location
can simply follow your Coordinate Reference System requirements. Thus
if your data falls within two UTM zones for example, create a location
for each zone and load your forestry data into the location
appropriate to the zone.

Mapsets are just user working directories. GRASS harks back to
multiuser environment UNIX servers and thus each user would have his
own 'playpen' mapset to work in.

Regards

Tim

> I have used ArcView in the past so this GRASS Database system sure is
> confusing.   Thanks for any help.  Wayne

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net