[Qgis-user] OSM data download

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Fri Apr 8 08:38:55 PDT 2011

subbu sravan wrote:
> Good afternoon everyone,
>                                     I am  creating data bank for
> Dindigul (Tamilnadu) on OSM so that i can  download the data through OSM
> plugin in qgis.The geographical extensions of my Study area are 10° 22'
>   11° 25'  latitude
>                       78° 00'  76° 46' longitude
> When try to download the data of these extensions Qgis won't except the
> extensions. If some body knows how download the my study area data
> please help me

Hi Subbu,

I don't think this is qgis related.
The plugin just uses other tools to download data from osm-api server.

If I convert your bounding box to decimal degrees:

78.7667 11.4167 10.3667 78.00

I get the following message from the plugin:

Download failed: Download process failed. OpenStreetMap server response:
Bad Request - The maximum bbox size is 0.25, and your request was too
large. Either request a smaller area, or use planet.osm.

It's just that the OSM server does not want to provide al this data via
the osm-api

You can either get small boxes of 0.25x0.25 degrees but it is easier te
get a data set from mirrors like:

http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/asia/

there are a lot of other mirrors for that:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm#Mirrors

Regards

Richard Duivenvoorde