[Qgis-user] newbie question: grouping polygons in a shapefile

Hinkle, CJon CJon.Hinkle at health.mo.gov
Wed Apr 27 14:49:47 PDT 2011

From: Micha Silver
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] newbie question: grouping polygons in a shapefile

On 04/27/2011 05:51 PM, Hinkle, CJon wrote:
I'm so new at this, I'm not even sure I'm asking the right question, but here goes.  I have a shapefile that is my state, divided into counties.  I want to divide the counties into Districts and color each district a different color.  The original data table contains the

When you say "divide the counties" do you have the geographic boundaries of the districts is the second "table"?

No, I don't have boundaries for the Districts, except as they include the individual counties.  Divide was a bad choice of terms.  I actually want to group the counties.  That is Counties 1 - 15 are District A, Counties 16 - 30 are District B etc.  Of course, they aren't numbered, they are named.

information on each county, but does not contain the District information.  I have a different table that contains the county name (identical to the original table) and the District designation (A, B, C etc)

I can't find a way to import the second table into the project and sync it with the first, so I can then color District A red and District B green etc.

Can you add just the districts and color them all different colors?

That's what I'm trying to do.  I could, for instance, add the district designations in a new column in the current DBF table, but my reading seems to indicate that this is not a good idea.

Thanks for your response,  CJon