[Qgis-user] How to calculate areas between contour lines (or isolines)

Jaime Palalane mitasjp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 22:42:36 PDT 2011

Olás,

Q1: I created contour lines from a DEM and after that I converted them
to vector lines. Now, for a basin (catchment) which is a polygon I need
to calculate the basin area between specific contour lines ranges (e.g.
300-400). How would appreciate an explanation how it could be done.
Another possibility could be to calculate areas between certain contour
rages direct from the DEM (my raster file) but I also do not know how to
compute them from it.

Q2: Is it possible to define catchments which drains to a specific point
in QGIS? I managed to create basins using the watershed command but I do
not have too much control of the basins which are created and I failed
to find how to define the basin draining to a specific section of the
river I am studying.

Abraço,

Jaime