[Qgis-user] QGIS 1.7 crashes when trying to access CRS

Frank Sokolic sokolic at worldonline.co.za
Tue Aug 23 00:22:56 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm running QGIS 1.7, standalone installer, on Windows XP and the program crashes whenever I try to access the CRS settings. Specifically it crashes whenever I select any of the following:

- Settings menu > Project properties
- Layer menu > Set CRS of Layer(s)
- Layer menu > Set project CRS from layer
- Click on the 'CRS Status' button on the status bar
- Right-click on layer name and choose 'Set layer CRS'
- Right-click on layer name and choose 'Set project CRS from layer'
- Layer properties > General > Specify CRS button
- Layer > New shapefile layer > Specify CRS button

QGIS 1.7 used to work perfectly on this machine. The problem started earlier this month when I had to uninstall 1.7 and reinstall 1.6 to check on some GUI changes. Now having reinstalled 1.7 the program keeps crashing as mentioned above. All the installs/uninstalls were done using the supplied installers/uninstallers and I also deleted the .qgis directory each time. I've also checked for any stray qt*.dll files and there aren't any. I even cleaned out all references to qgis in the registry before reinstalling 1.7.

Is there anything that I'm missing? Has anyone had a similar problem before?

Regards, Frank.