[Qgis-user] UK PSMA user request

Andrew Chapman andrew.chapman at donkagen.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 04:10:31 PDT 2011

I had an interesting meeting last week with a large group from the UK
Ordnance Survey PSMA (Public Sector Mapping Agreement) team (at their
request), to give them an update on what I've been doing in the community
and my view on what needs to happen to encourage take-up of their free
products.
I took the opportunity to push for more public support of QGIS and the
initiatives that we are taking in the UK. Because of their need to be seen
not to be acting against the interests of their "partners" (businesses that
sell commercial products on the back of paid-for OS products), this isn't
easy for them to do.
What they did say however is that if there is a clear user interest then
there is a clear market need... and they could do more to help. This is a
somewhat Catch-22 type situation - we need more users saying that we need
QGIS support to get more users.

So, the request -

If any QGIS user reading this is also a PSMA licensee, could you please post
on the PSMA Members' Forum and say positive things about QGIS - be creative!
Additionally, please contribute to the QGIS Wiki special interest area
(http://www.qgis.org/wiki/UK_Ordnance_Survey_Users).

Andrew