[Qgis-user] Rasters alpha channel black instead of transparent

Pedro VenĂ¢ncio pedrongvenancio at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 02:38:30 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I was cutting some rasters in the same way I did several times in the past, adding the alpha channel to ensure transparency:

gdalwarp -of GTiff -r lanczos -dstalpha -cutline shapefile.shp raster_input.tif raster_output.tif

However, now the area that would appear transparent, is shown in black on QGIS 1.7 (and 1.8 dev), as you can see in the picture attached.

I've tried other software and it open the image with transparency in these areas.
Images that I've cut in the past and opened correctly in QGIS, now are black instead of transparent.

Why is this happening? It is an option that can be changed?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Pedro VenĂ¢ncio