[Qgis-user] Re: ecw problems

Alister Hood alister.hood at synergine.com
Fri Dec 2 15:49:46 PST 2011

> Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:46:03 +0000
> From: Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Re: ecw problems
> To: Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com>
> Cc: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
>

> > This is very strange as a lot of other open source GIS programs ship
> > the ecw libs with each release, uDig; MapServer; etc.  Are they
> > breaking the licences?
>
> I'm not sure if they break the license, on the other hand how they can
> be open source if they include closed software?
>
> cheers
>
> -- Giovanni --

- Some of them (like uDig) are LGPL, not GPL.  Does this make a difference here?

- I'm guessing they probably don't "include" closed software, but are just _distributed_ with it.  They are probably linked against GDAL (which has an MIT license), and distributed along with a GDAL plugin which is linked against the main GDAL library and the ECW libs.  I don't think ECW support is normally built into the main GDAL library.  I'm not sure what aspects of this are relevant ;)

Alister