[Qgis-user] unable to get correct distances using the distance matrix tool

Tilottama Ghosh waggymaggy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 03:19:55 PST 2011

Hi,

I am a new user of Quantum GIS and am trying a similar exercise both on
quantum  GIS and ArGIS. I am trying to measure the distance from an airport
point to several residential and commercial project points. I have a
customized projection in Albers Equal Area Conic. The problem that
is occurring is that the distance is not being calculated in the right
manner. Here is my customized projection -

USER:100000 -  * Generated CRS (+proj=aea +lat_1=12 +lat_2=28 +lat_0=20
+lon_0=78 +x_0=2000000 +y_0=2000000 +ellps=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0
+units=m +no_defs)
I am getting the correct distances in Arc. The units should be meters.
However, I am unable to get that in Qgis. I tried several times. I went
into 'Settings', then 'Project Properties' and changed the projection to my
customized projection there too, but nothing seems to work. Any kind of
help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,

Tilottama