[Qgis-user] QGIS server and SVG symbols

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Dec 14 01:44:55 PST 2011

 Hi Daniel,

 SVG should work with QGIS server. However, there are a few things to
 consider:

 * If you use SVG patterns, you need to have a running X-Server. This is
 a limitation of the current qtsvg libraries. In my case I am running vnc
 with a script provided by Jürgen - see below. Of course you need to
 install vncserver for this purpose. It only needs local address and for
 security reasons you can block remote access of vncserver. You need to
 start the script before apache and then after it is running start
 Apache.
 * you can place symbols in the general QGIS SVG symbol directory - on
 my sever this is in /usr/local/share/qgis/svg - or you can place them
 relative to the project file and make sure that relative paths are
 enabled in the project. The same applies for SVG files used in layouts.

 Here is the vnc-script (vnc.sh) from Jürgen:
 ----------------------
 #!/bin/bash

 set -e

 umask 0077
 export H=/tmp/vnc

 mkdir $H || true

 #pwgen -1 | tee /dev/stdout | HOME=$H vncpasswd
 echo foobar | tee /dev/stdout | HOME=$H vncpasswd
 touch $H/.vncstartup
 chmod u+x $H/.vncstartup
 chown -R nobody.nogroup $H
 sudo -u nobody HOME=$H vncserver -kill :999 || true
 sudo -u nobody HOME=$H vncserver :999 -localhost=1 -ac -nolisten tcp
 -------------------------

 Let us know if this works.

 Andreas

 On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:34:41 +0100,  wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to publish with QGIS server a layer with SVG symbols for
> style, but it doesn't work (a get a blank map in the WMS service).
> Does QGIS server support SVG symbols ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> Daniel

 Andreas Neumann