[Qgis-user] Converting a line feature to evenly spaced point

Ezra Boyd eboyd3 at tigers.lsu.edu
Fri Jul 8 12:02:44 PDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

I have a line feature that represents a road/trail along with a set of
GPS points taken along the trail.  What I need to do is calculate the
distance along the pathway from the trailhead to each GPS point.  The
best way that I can think of to accomplish this is to convert the line
feature to even spaced points (preferably 1 meter or 1 ft apart.)
However, all of the line-to-point conversion tools that I have found
simply create points at all the nodes of the line feature.  But, this
want help me because I know that the nodes are not evenly spaced.
Does anyone know of the line-to-point conversion tool that creates
evenly spaced points?  Otherwise, does anyone have other ideas of how
I can accomplish what I need to accomplish.

Thanks,
Ezra