[Qgis-user] nircmd flagged as a virus

Frank Sokolic sokolic at worldonline.co.za
Sun Jun 5 06:59:54 PDT 2011

Hi all,

When using the Windows installer for QGIS 1.6 the shortcuts that are
generated use nircmd.exe to execute a batch file called qgis.bat, which
in turn loads and runs QGIS. However, I've noticed that some Windows
anti-virus programs flag nircmd.exe as a virus and prevent the QGIS
shortcuts from working. This can cause alarm amongst new users of QGIS
and I've had people tell me they "don't trust Quantum GIS because it is
a virus".

What is the reason for using nircmd? Would it not be better to run the
batch file directly instead of running it via nircmd?

Frank.