[Qgis-user] Bugs, release of 1.7 and release of 1.7 as beta

. digitalmaps at cox.net
Mon Jun 6 14:41:42 PDT 2011

On 6/6/2011 8:18 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 06/06/2011 15:15, . ha scritto:
>
>> What major features remain to be finished?
> Major features are never finished, by definition ;)
> New ideas are coming regularly.
> What is needed now is, IMHO:
> - bigfixing
> - bugfixing ;)
> - automatic testing
> - polishing (symbology and other stuff)
> - infrastructure (central repo for plugins, styles, symbols, with user rating and
> comments, etc.).
> All the best.
I have completed a major QGIS project (see Encyclopedic Map of Baghdad
at Amazon.com). I found that the map composer module wasn't strong
enough for my needs. I exported each layer to Inkscape and did my final
composition by hand. The only other feature I found that would be
helpful would be the ability to rotate the orientation of the screen.
I've seen requests for this feature poo-pooed before so I'm a little
reluctant to bring the subject up. People digitizing objects would
benefit most from this. Why? It has to do with the way human eyesight
works. We expect to see a horizon. It is a real challenge to digitize
things set at an angle and do it properly. It is more stressful to
follow objects oriented at an angle which force the natural tendency to
rotate one's head to the left or right to give the impression that the
objects being focused on are on a "horizon". If we could rotate the
screen to match the orientation to that of the group of objects being
worked on we could have our horizon align with the bottom of the screen
with the sides of the screen providing a reference angle of 90 deg. Not
having to constantly crane one's head makes the digitizing process much
easier. I did a lot of digitizing in Google Earth before they
depreciated the UI and found the ability to rotate the screen very
helpful. The options in the CAD Console are very helpful in this respect
ie auto ortho. More CAD-like features to aid digitizing objects that
share the same orientation, like streets and houses would be helpful. I
realize this would be a major programming challenge so I only mention it
in passing. Obviously we can work with the tools there now. On my
project, I digitized 42,000 polygons. Almost a year's worth of work,
many 7 day weeks, sometimes 14 hrs per day. Anything to make digitizing
easier should be considered.

Now I'm onto another project and use QGIS every day. I wish I were in a
position to offer programming aid. The best I can do is offer user
feedback and praise QGIS whenever possible (see Slashgeo.org).

Yeha!