[Qgis-user] Raster -> Merge (gdal_merge) failure

Nick Hopton nhopton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 01:42:26 PDT 2011

I am running QGIS 1.7 under Ubuntu 11.04 and I can no longer merge
rasters by going 'Raster -> Merge'. This was possible in QGIS 1.6, but
not in QGIS 1.8 or now, after I have dropped back to Version 1.7. The
process fails with the error message 'The process crashed some time
after starting successfully.' However, other Gdal tools, for example,
'Raster -> Warp' and 'Raster -> Transform' do work. gdal_merge.py will
not run from a terminal either.

I have tried completely removing QGIS and reinstalling, but to no
effect. One odd thing though, after 'completely removing' QGIS and
reinstalling it I was surprised to find that my old settings were
still in place.

Where, by default, does QGIS install Gdal tools, by the way?

Any advice on where I go from here would be greatly appreciated; I've
almost reached the stage where I'm considering a clean install of
Ubuntu but I really don't want to do this.

Regards, Nick.

--
Nick Hopton, Caversham, Reading, England.