[Qgis-user] Converting gif/jpeg images to shape files

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jun 27 11:31:23 PDT 2011

On 06/27/2011 08:36 AM, Mick wrote:
> I have a collection of .gif and .jpg images of early maps I wish to
> convert into ESRI shape files for integration into a set of layers of
> 17th to 19th century Devon.
>
> I did stumble on to what appeared to be the tool to do it but I can't
> find it again and can't think of the correct terminology for the
> process so I could google with some chance of success.
>
> Can some kind soul please point me in the right direction.
>
> mick

What you want is Raster->Vector conversion. GDALtools has some stuff for
this (or GDAL commandline), there may also be a few other plugins to try
in the list, but if none of those work GRASS has a lot of support for
this type of operation.

Of course that's assuming you want it automated. Depending on the
complexity of the map you could always do it by hand.

1st step if you can though is to Georeference the images.

Enjoy,
Alex