[Qgis-user] QGIS 1.7 and Ubuntu GIS packages, was qgis-grass-plugin dependency issue

Dan Putler putler at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 08:13:27 PDT 2011

I have run into the same problem. The mix and match between the QGIS and Ubuntu GIS repositories is not pleasant. Until the current QGIS 1.7 release, exclusively using the Ubuntu GIS repository was a "just works" experience. I have also noticed a big performance degradation between the 1.6 and 1.7 releases in terms of the length of time it takes to render a shapefile. In addition, I'm getting rendering errors for files that rendered just fine in 1.6, and have no problems in either uDig, and gvSIG. I thought it might be due to the shapefiles being less than perfect, so I cleaned them in GRASS. The cleaned files also have rendering errors, but those errors are slightly different than for the original files. I'd be happy to send these files along if someone in the development team is interested. I am running Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) on two machines, one 32 bit, the other 64 bit, with the underlying support stack largely coming from the Ubuntu GIS repo. My hunch
 at this moment is that there is something in the Ubuntu GIS based stack that this release of QGIS doesn't play well with.

Dan