[Qgis-user] Public Sector Mapping Agreement

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 12:18:15 PST 2011

Hi,
Thats great news!
Thanks for sharing

FYI, one of the things im working on with the folks at koordinates.com
is to upload and provide a direct link to the geo-data available from
Ordnance Survay to koordinates.com, so then all of the data will be
available at a central source, and in the same standard .shp file
format.

Koordinates.com also has API access, so the hopes is that their will
be a way to directly extract data from koordinates.com to be usable
for the qgis work.

I already and downloaded a few sample files from it, so the linkage
should not be that hard to make.

cheers,
sam

On 3/3/11, Andrew Chapman <andrew.chapman at donkagen.co.uk> wrote:
> Ordnance Survey is introducing their "Public Sector Mapping Agreement for
> England and Wales" as of 1 April 2011. This is a major change to their
> licensing and will provide free access to OS MasterMap and other layers to
> all public bodies, layers of local government (including the approximately
> 10,000 parish councils)... and also permit free sub-licensing to
> subcontractors. Directly and, indirectly, this could dramatically increase
> the number of potential users of QGIS. Details can be found at
> www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/business/sectors/government/publicpsmafaq
> s.html.
> I'm a member of a parish council, but am working with the county council
> (plus Environment Agency, Highways Agency, etc) in different areas looking
> at local community sourcing of GIS data, but especially relating to
> flooding.
> To encourage take-up for both GIS and QGIS, it may help if there were
> tutorials to take a new user of GIS through the steps to download data from
> Ordnance Survey (probably only in GZ format for the topology layers).
> To date I've been getting data as shapefiles - when I last tried (an earlier
> version) QGIS wouldn't load .gz and the support for .gml may have been
> incomplete.
> Is anyone else using Ordnance Survey .gz files directly?
> Would the best advice for users new to GIS be to convert to shapefiles or
> use a database (something I've not yet managed to do)?
> Are there any UK users involved with town or parish councils?
>
> Andrew

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn