[Qgis-user] Public Sector Mapping Agreement

Saber Razmjooei razmjooeis at faunalia.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 14:38:31 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 22:03 +0000, Andrew Chapman wrote:
> Hi Sam
> If I understand what you are proposing, I don't think that it would be
> permitted within the OS licence.
> Use will be free to approved organisations, but only to them and
> sub-contractors who have signed an approved sub-licence agreement. The goal
> seems to be to make it easy for anyone in central and local government (or
> working for or with them) to use the data - the community has paid for the
> production of the data out of taxation so it is silly to expect to have to
> pay for it all over again. Where the use would be commercial, OS is required
> to generate income to reduce its costs.
I remember there was (and probably still is) a big debate about
releasing data for free:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jul/29/free-our-data-ordnance-survey

Other models (in South Africa :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/may/28/free-our-data-e-government?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487  provide maps for free to all. The way new business will emerge and also the data gets reused will generate enough tax income for the government to run the public mapping.
(an extract from http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file45136.pdf
:"In 2008 a government report suggested that shifting OS to a free data
model would benefit the economy by £156m annually, while costing the
government only £12m.")

I have not seen the OS report, so not sure how they have carried out
their business case. But for sure, other (fully paid - even for public
sector or completely free for all) were (are ....) viable options.

Regards
Saber