Large shape files and databases. WAS: [Qgis-user] Very slow performance with large SHP files, with over 200k objects

Ramon Andinach custard at westnet.com.au
Mon Mar 7 02:34:41 PST 2011

On 07/03/2011, at 16:20 , <jr.morreale at enoreth.net> <jr.morreale at enoreth.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:13:32 +0800, Thiru Chandran <tiruchirapalli at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Looks like QGIS is not able to handle very large SHP files. Here we are
>> talking about SHP files with over 200K polygons and the one that we are over
>> 500K objects.
>>
>> Even to open, it takes quite a long, say  more than 40 seconds.
>>
>> The issue is with search, if you do any attribute search then, its as good
>> as 5 mins to respond.
>>
>> I have seen some earlier threads complaining/having the same problem.. well
>> any patch / progress on this?
>>
>> this is a critical requirement in one of the application and without the
>> performance, we really cant make it.
>>
>> hope to see some light on this ... can we expect this in v 1.7?
>>

>> Richard.
>>
>> Northern Territory
>> Australia
>
> Even if the threading branch brings some real improvements over 1.6, you would get a better result by converting your dataset to a database such as spatialite on whihc you can set indexes and spatial idx.

Right. Wondered where that sort of thing became useful.

Are there some really basic step by half-step guides to setting up something like this?
(And I don't mean here's the protocol spec, and you can figure it out from there)

Also, are there comparisons out there of the different DBs that qgis can use?

-ramon.