[Qgis-user] QGIS 1.6.0 and support for raster *.sid

Ramon Andinach custard at westnet.com.au
Tue Mar 8 15:28:52 PST 2011

On 09/03/2011, at 03:43 , Giovanni Manghi wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 16:53 +0100, Johan Colson wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I use QGis 1.6.0.
>> I have orthophotos compressed with MrSid. I cannot open those photo's.
>> I followed the instructions on http://www.qgis.org/wiki/osgeo4wsetup

Is it just me or is that page empty?

>> and on http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-gdal-ecw to get support
>> for raster *.sid. Without success untill now.
>> Can someone give me some advice?
>
> If you are using the osgeo4w installer then you need to install the
> gdal17-sid package

John, Giovanni is right, and you need the MrSid library for the Mr Sid photos. ECW isn't MrSid.

I've recently been told that the ecw library has moved on to 1.8 (gdal-ecw), even in recent versions of qgis 1.6. I would presume that the mrsid library would be the same. If so, that would be gdal-sid.

I don't think there is anything extra to install for MrSid like there is for ecw.

If you followed the really short instructions here:
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Download#OSGeo4W_Installer
Then you'll need to use the "Advanced Install" to install these packages.

-ramon.