[Qgis-user] masuring area

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Mar 10 10:50:43 PST 2011

On 03/10/2011 07:04 AM, Sascha Eichenauer wrote:
> Am 09.03.2011 01:17, schrieb Julio Cesar Canales DElgadillo:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have some polygon layers in lat-long system WGS84. I'm trying to measure the
>> polygons' area but I'm getting squared degrees instead hectares. Somebody knows
>> how to solve it?
>> Also, apparently I have something miss in the GDAL tools libraries because when
>> I try to use them I get (always) an error message and not a single of the tools
>> is working. Do you know some way to identify the source of failure?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>  Biól.MCF. Julio César Canales Delgadillo.
>> Verhaltensbiologie
>> Barbarastr. 11
>> Fachbereich 5 Biologie/Chemie
>> Universität Osnabrück
>> 49076 Osnabrück
>> Phone: +(49) 0541 969 3803
>> Movil: +(49) 0152 043 87082
>> Alternative E-mail: julio.delgadillo at biologie.uni-osnabrueck.de

It would be best to use the Projection-on-the-fly and select an
appropriate projection for the area you are working in. Once you do that
you'll get measurements the way you expect.

As for the GDAL Tools, there is a settings item in the menu, you need to
set the path to your gdal install in there for it to work. This usually
effects OSGeo4w installs and Mac installs.

Enjoy,
Alex