[Qgis-user] raster stats

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Mon Mar 21 08:37:42 PDT 2011

I'm not sure if this behavior is expected or I am missing something.

I have a 1 band raster dataset (an elevation DEM) in TIF format.  It has
statistics computed from "gdalinfo -stats mydata.tif"   However, when I open
it in QGIS (both 1.6 and 1.7 trunk), and look at the Metadata tab in Layer
properties, there are two sections that contain band stats information.  The
first section is labeled "Band 1" and lists the same stats as found using
gdalinfo.  The second section is labeled "Band" and says "No stats collected
yet" for band 1.  QGIS has to create the stats when I apply a color map or
stretch.  For large rasters, this takes a while, and must be done each time
it's used in QGIS.

Has anyone experienced this behavior?  Is this expected?  Is there a way to
let gdal compute all the stats that QGIS needs?  Thanks.

- John

John Callahan, Research Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware