[Qgis-user] Rule based labeling ideas

Alister Hood alister.hood at synergine.com
Thu Nov 3 15:32:17 PDT 2011

Hi Nathan,
I suggested a similar thing as part of http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4123 -
have you seen that ticket?
I haven't got around to splitting it up like Martin suggested :(
I think the way I suggested dealing with labels would be simpler for the
user.

Also, at least for your second option ("ui in the labelling tab"), it
seems like you have only considered that users want to apply different
text to labels for different rules.  I think it is very common for users
to want to apply different formatting to the labels, e.g. larger text
for highways or large cities than for side streets or small towns.

Alister

<CAAi8Yg8j6JuGPxbEQeTnkto6Wp55A=xLa-e0OGmsS301k5cdKA at mail.gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I was playing around with some uDig, SLD and MapServer today and how
they
> handle labeling features and I noticed that they do labels per class
(per
> symbol in our case) and I remember seeing that rule based labeling was
on
> the To-Talk-About list for the next hackfest and thought I would throw
> few ideas about how I thought we could do it.
>
> I have written a few details about my ideas here
> http://www.qgis.org/wiki/RuleBasedLabelingIdeas
>
> Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this.
>
> My motivation for thinking this would be good is that it's a pretty
> powerful feature in SLD and MapServer but all the UIs that I have seen
> handle defining the labels per feature class/symbol are very below par
IMO.