[Qgis-user] [WEB CLIENT] Information about QGIS Web Client

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Nov 14 02:55:24 PST 2011

 Hi Germán,

 I am answering some questions about QGIS web client.

 Actually the goal of the QGIS client is not so much to be a open-to-all
 servers/protocols project, but to tie it rather closely to QGIS server.
 If you do not use QGIS server I do not recommend using QGIS web client.
 We try to use open standards, but often we have some proprietary
 extensions to make things work (like printing) which are not covered by
 OGC standards.

> in coming days (perhaps weeks) I'll publish the sixth version of the
> Web Mapping Client Comparison [1].
>
> It will include the QGIS Web Client, so I'd like you to validate the
> following data, which will help me get accurate information about
> your
> project:
>
>     * License: BSD
 yes

>     * Latest version: ? (2011.??.??)
 we do not have versions/releases, we have rolling releases with
 irregular updates based on user/client demand and developer time.

>     * Origin country: Switzerland

 yes - but now it is an international project

>     * Origin organization/institute/university: Andreas Neumann

 although I was the original author, it is now part of the QGIS project,
 so I would just list the QGIS community here. If you want to publish the
 original author - then yes it was me, and my organization is the City of
 Uster in Switzerland. Meanwhile others are using the QGIS Web Client and
 others are contributing, such as Sourcepole, Faunalia and other people
 from the QGIS community.

>     * Documentation:
>           o Languages: English; German

 Documentation language is english, the UI is available in several
 languages like englisch, german, french, italian, portuguese and more.

>            o Formats: HTML; Issue Tracker; PDF; TXT; Wiki

 it is based on OpenLayers and GeoExt and builds on HTML, SVG and
 Javascript. For older IE browsers there are VML fallbacks, but this may
 be removed as older IE versions are disappearing (hopefully soon).

>           o Levels: Users

 what do you mean by "Levels"?

>     * OSGeo project: Yes (QGIS)

 By itself, QGIS web client is not an OSGeo project, but QGIS is part of
 OSGeo, yes.

>     * Source code language: Javascript; Python

 yes, Javascript and it requires dependencies, such as OpenLayers, ExtJS
 (currently version 3x) and GeoExt.

>     * API language: Javascript

 we do not yet have a published API. We have certain Rest interfaces
 with the server which are documented, but we do not yet have a real
 well-structured and documented JS API.

>     * OGC Geo-services support: WMS

 yes

>      * Tile-based services support: Yes

 not yet officially supported, but being based on OpenLayers, one can
 always add tile-based layers if one wants.

>     * Requires proprietary plug-ins?: No

 yes - not plugin required.

>     * Includes metadata component?: No

 We plan to display some metadata which can be maintained in QGIS
 desktop projects - but this is not yet available.

>     * Mailing lists: Yes (Users; Developers)

 yes

 Hope this helps,
 Andreas

 --