[Qgis-user] announcing time series plot plugin (experimental)

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Mon Nov 28 05:44:03 PST 2011

Hi Josef,

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 8:34 AM, josef k <groundwatergis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Anita,
> I am glad you find some use for it!
> I did choose SpatiaLite since I deal with quite a lot of data from several
> sites at the same time.

Are you using any of SpatiaLite's functions? Would it be difficult to
adjust the code so it could handle arbitrary vector data sources?

> It turned out that spaialite is a great data container for me and my
> colleagues since we only have to deal with one single (and portable) db
> file for each site. Furthermore, since we are mainly hydrogeologists and
> for sure no db gurus, spatialite seemed lika a much easier way to start
> organizing things than e.g. post-GIS.

There are some reasons why I don't use Spatialite much, e.g. the
combination of QGIS + Spatialite has some issues if you define database
views and try to import them into QGIS. The data types are screwed up
often, which in turn makes it impossible to visualize the features by their
(numerical) attributes.

Once PostGIS is set up, I've found it to be much more reliable and
predictable than Spatialite. e.g. Spatialite's weak typing lead to
unexpected results.

Therefore, I'd suggest implementing support for other vector formats
available in QGIS before building new features. A broader setup will
attract more interested users and possible developers.

Best wishes, keep up the good work!

Anita