[Qgis-user] QGIS exercises, or: why our power users are little involved in the community?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Oct 7 12:07:49 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-05 17:29, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all.
> During a course, I have been asked if there are QGIS exercises, so I did a
> quick web search, and I was surprised to discover that many universities
> and institutions produces interesting exercise sets.
> The reason of the surprise is: why a power user, that regularly teaches
> QGIS, investing obviously a lot of energies in it, so often do not
> participate to the life of our community, writing to the MLs, writing case
> studies and so on?
> I think we should have an outreach programme to actively involve more
> people: any thoughts?

Hi Paolo,

+1 for collecting this kind of information in the wiki.

not sure if you can get people active if they are not at this moment.
But maybe qgis-teaching people are shy people and just need a little
push of the community :-)

So: let's start with collecting pointers to the interesting
sites/information in the Wiki: a google on 'qgis exercises; reveals
indeed a lot of (but sometimes older) materials?
And maybe sent a pointer to this wikipage to the authors to at least let
them know that they should keep there material a little up to date ;-)

I really like this git/book site: http://progit.org/book/

don't know how they do this, but it is really nice to see that this book
is translated in so many languages...

I think the 'Gentle Gis Intro' from Tim is worth translating for courses
all over the world!

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde