[Qgis-user] Creating Geological Maps

jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Tue Oct 18 04:53:51 PDT 2011

Hi Gerhardus,
        Just to clarify on image file formats a little:

JPEG - Best used with photos. You're correct that it loses quality when
compressed. This is called "lossy compression".

PNG - Also commonly used with photos, the compression with this is
lossless, so you can set it as high as you like and no quality will be
lost.

Generally speaking while good for storing general imagery, the above two
formats don't typically hold spatial information so aren't used in a GIS.

TIF (also TIFF) - There's about a trillion different types of TIF file
format features. This is the file type that in the GIS world is commonly
used to store raster imagery. There are others, but this one is the most
supported, even if different aspects are supported by different
applications.
By default they're uncompressed, but they can be compressed using a number
of methods, LZW compression is a popular choice and is lossless. TIFs
themselves don't always store spatial information but may come with a
"world file" (tfw or tab format) which is a small text file which contains
that information. Some TIFs do store spatial information within the TIF
file itself and these are called "GeoTIFFs".
Some (geo)tiffs can also store "pyramids" - these make large rasters
display faster when zoomed out.

Hopefully that clears things up a little.
Regards,

Jonathan