[Qgis-user] Mapping in the southern hemisphere

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 11:53:30 PDT 2011

Yeah, it's a confusing nomenclature.  There is often a letter following the
zone number to specify which part of the zone you're in... but just as often
you see a N or S referring to the hemisphere.  In the QGIS list of SRIDs, it
takes the latter convention.  Have a look at the list of SRIDs in the
Project Properties dialogue, I believe you'll see that in this case, the 35S
refers to 35 South.