[Qgis-user] Shaded Relief: Memory Error on Windows OS

Gerardo Jimenez gejst5 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 23 07:09:25 PDT 2011

Yes, Gdaltools includes a  DEM (terrain models) option. You can find it at raster/dem. When you are working with the hillshading option remember to set th proper scale factor. If you are working with lat lon models
and your elevation is in meters , you have to set the scale( ratio of..) to 111120. If your coordinates units and elevations have the same measuring unit, in meters, scale factor is 1.

I prefer to us e Gdaltools because it can handle really large data sets with out a problem. For instance recentlye I produced a model of 2 degrees by 2 degrees and it did was not a problem for Qgis. I tried a doing just a 1 by 2 degrees with  shaded relief plugin and.. your memory error appears.

Hope it helps

Gerardo Jiménez Delgado
Instituto de Investigaciones Antropológicas
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Ciudad Universitaria s/n
Coyoacan 04510
Mexico City