[Qgis-user] Questions on CSV plugin & UTF8, or dbf to spatial.

Koos Hagg hagg.koos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 03:38:26 PDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to force the Delimited text plugin to read/process UTF8
encoded .csv's?

I am working with Vietnamese characters, which display fine encoded UTF8.
Working from an access database, I export my queries/tables/whatever and
save them as a csv, in UTF8 with OpenOffice. That works fine. If I then open
my csv with notepad++ or similar, the characters are preserved- great! But
when I bring the file in with the Delimited text plugin, the characters are
messed up. Why is this? how can I fix it?

Alternatively:
I can save the tables I want as dbf, which actually load nicely into QGIS as
a table, no problems with characters. My tables have Lat & Long columns.

How can I tell QGIS to draw points/create a spatial layer based on those 2
columns? Is there a plugin for that that I have missed?

Right now my work-around is to load both a csv and a dbf, and then join the
dbf to the csv points layer, and save as shapefile, deleting the fields that
are no good. It works but it is a little cumbersome.

Thanks!
Koos Hagg

Oh, using QGIS 1.8+ on Windows 7 (64 bit)