[Qgis-user] Poor performance on Toshiba Laptop

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Sep 2 17:50:44 PDT 2011

On 09/02/2011 04:34 PM, acarvajales at fcien.edu.uy wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've just started using QGis (Wroclaw). I'm working on a 120 mb .shp
> file, in my Toshiba L645 laptop. I agree it's not the greatest machine,
> but it is what i can afford (as of now, just a grad-student). This model
> includes core i3 cpu, with intel HD graphics, and 3 GB of RAM.
>
> My questions to you all are...
>
> a) shouldn't i be able to work comfortably with files this size? if yes,
> in my laptop is certainly not the case, and i would very much like to
> have a clue as to why.
>
> b) the program keeps crashing (in Windows and in Ubuntu, keep in mind
> it's the first time i've had to kill a process in Linux to be able to
> continue working normally), is this normal?
>
> c) do i need more RAM, do i need a state of the art video card?
>
> I'm a total newbie to the world of GIS, being trained to become a
> biologist.. is it a matter of patience, solely? Trying, trying and trying?
>
> Whatever help you can provide, it'll be most appreciated.
>
> With regards,
>
> Andrés.

I don't see why that machine would have any difficulty, many of us
actually have much older machines with less computer power.

Is the file something you can publicly post to the web for download so
that some other people can try to see if it's a problem with the file?
Have you tried other shapefiles of varying sizes? How do they perform?

It's very unusual to have to kill QGIS in linux. Which repo are you
using QGIS from?

Thanks,
Alex