[Qgis-user] Poor performance on Toshiba Laptop

Mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Sat Sep 3 18:53:53 PDT 2011

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 16:12:57 -0300
acarvajales at fcien.edu.uy wrote:

> Mick: I'm sorry but i don't quite get what you mean by 'breaking'
> down the file. I suspect all of this problems i'm having are indeed
> related to the file, but i just don't have enough info on how it was
> built. I'll try to get that info as soon as i can and share it with
> you guys.

One of the first files I used in a GIS was a line layer representing 100
square kilometers of rugged hills. It contained:
about 100,000 contour lines
2,000 kilometres of forestry tracks
1,000 kilometres of public roads
800 kilometres of waterways

In total there were 900,000 individual objects in the file. Each time I
edited an element it took 10 minutes to refresh the display (or 30
minutes if I had labels showing.

In frustration with the refresh times I separated the single file in to
separate files for each line type (contours, forestry tracks, public
roads, waterways). After this even with all files open and showing
labels, refresh times dropped to quick enough to appear instant.

mick