[Qgis-user] Problem rotating labels

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Sep 13 05:15:48 PDT 2011

 Hi all,

 There are two versions of labeling (the old version in the layers
 properties tag) and the new version with the ABC button. The old version
 will be abandoned and replaced by the new version. So, if you create a
 new project it is recommended to use the ABC button. If there are
 problems/bugs, please make sure they are fixed by bug reporting them
 and, if possible fix it or hire someone to fix it.

 Thanks,
 Andreas

 On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:00:27 +0100, Andrew Chapman wrote:
> I regularly have the same problem, but there are a couple of
> alternatives.
> The one that I use is Layer Properties->Labels, Display Labels,
> select the
> field containing label then the Advanced tab. You can now use the
> Data
> defined placement->Angle to specify your angle field. You can also
> use the
> same principle to use field dependent size, colour, etc. If nothing
> is
> defined, QGIS simply uses the settings from the Label Properties tab.
> While
> not documented anywhere that I've seen, you can also use the
> following for
> Placement - 'Bottom Left','Left','Top Left','Bottom','Over',
> 'Top', 'Bottom Right','Right','Top Right'.
> The other alternative is to use the ABC tool, but the only way that I
> can
> see to get it to work is to first define fields for 'Label distance',
> 'X
> Coordinate' and 'Y coordinate' - you will then have the option to
> select a
> value for 'Rotation'. You could probably add a dummy field to your
> file
> (using NULL values) and point the first three options there... but I
> haven't
> tried that.
>
> Andrew Chapman

 Andreas Neumann