[Qgis-user] plugin installer with unstable internet connections

Alister Hood alister.hood at synergine.com
Tue Sep 13 15:59:05 PDT 2011

Of
> Giuseppe Sucameli
> Sent: Wednesday, 14 September 2011 10:52 a.m.
> To: Alister Hood
> Cc: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] plugin installer with unstable internet
connections

> Hi Alister,
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Alister Hood
> <alister.hood at synergine.com> wrote:
> > In this case you'd probably want to
> > disable the plugin installer, because if at some stage a user
updates
> > one themselves, and doesn't keep it up to date, they could end up
with
> > an old plugin version in their home directory masking a newer one in
the
> > program directory.
>
> at QGis startup the plugin manager checks if you have more versions of
> the same plugin installed (i.e. one in the program dir and another one
in
> the home dir), then it loads only the newer one.
>
> Cheers.

Are you sure? When did this change?
A few months ago I had a situation where the plugin installer updated
gdaltools or ftools (or maybe both), and then later when I got a newer
built-in version, at startup it would complain that an older version in
my user directory was masking the built-in version, and tell me to
uninstall the old version.

Alister