[Qgis-user] controlling cell size during raster warp

Janneke Qgis janneke.qgis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 02:54:00 PDT 2011

Dear list,

I've downloaded aster dem data (25 tiles) and I want to use the tiles
for watershed analysis (using grass r.watershed). I would like to get
some general advise about how best to approach this (and haven't found
something yet on the internet).

1. Would it be better to work with the original or with projected data
(wgs84/utm36s)?
2. Is it necessary to work with the merged data, or is it
possible/adviseable to use a virtual raster?
3. if it is necessary to reproject and merge the data, should the data
be warped first before merging? In that case, what are the consequences
of the different cell sizes resulting from the warp process for the
merge process?

I'm thinking of doing all these preparational steps using the GDAL
plugin because I'm more familiar with it, but if the grass plugin gives
better results I'll give that a try.

Any hints/links/advice welcome, thanks,

Janneke