[Qgis-user] Re: Clipping overlapping polygons with QGIS?

Alexandre Leroux alexandreleroux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 13:43:50 PDT 2011

Hi list -

I quick update. What I've been trying to do may possibly be done by the Intersection function of my layer with itself. I tried applying the intersection geoprocessing function via both QGIS and gvSIG and both failed to generate a full cookie cutting of all the polygons in my layer by themselves. The larger polygons are simply not cut by the smaller ones (the "empty space" polygon in my example below is never created).

If I look at gvSIG's documentation (QGIS's pdf documentation is not as detailed): http://www.gvsig.org/web/projects/gvsig-desktop/docs/user/gvsig-desktop-1-11-manual-de-usuario/gvsig-desktop-1-11-manual-de-usuario-en/gvsig_freemind_toc_view?doc=gvSIG%201.11%20User%20manual/Analysis%20and%20data%20processing/Vector/Geoprocessing%20tools/Intersection/Introduction it seems like it's exactly what I want to do. But running the command just doesn't create the expected result (as I said, the larger polygons are not cut by the smaller ones). I'm wondering if the problem is not with my shapefile (but I don't see why that would be the case).

If anyone has a clue, that would be great -

Thanks -
Alex