[Qgis-user] [Off-Topic]Tips on buying a new laptop

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Sep 28 08:15:17 PDT 2011

On 09/28/2011 02:39 AM, percy langa wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>wrote:
>
>> I would mainly make sure you have enough RAM and an OS that can benefit of
>> the additional RAM. I would recommend at least 4GB RAM, better 8.
>>
>> Linux 64bit should be able to use the additional RAM, the Win32 QGIS cannot
>> use more than 2 or 3GB. As far as I know there is no 64bit Windows version
>> available.
>>

> Thanks Andreas,
>
> I think Win 7 has a 64bit version (will check though).
>
> I would love to dual-boot win laptop with linux (and, hopefully, this does
> not affect the dealer's and manufacture's warranty). Naturally, I would wipe
> win, install linux and VMs :)
>
> Cheers!
> Percy

Yes Win 7 comes in 64bit flavor. What was meant above is that there is
no pre-compiled QGIS for 64bit Windows, Which is something we really
ought to work on changing.

There are some options out there to buy without windows at all(That's
what I did). Nvidia has better closed source drivers for linux right
now. The open source drivers are not as good as what's been done for
ATI, but FOSS drivers lag behind new cards.

Enjoy,
Alex