[Qgis-user] What is GrASS really?

adams adams at terrestris.de
Fri Sep 30 05:49:00 PDT 2011

Hi Emile,

just for making maps you for sure do not need GRASS, GRASS is the
"Geographic Raster Analysis Support System" - a GIS tool for "real"
working with GIS data, but definetely not for creating nice maps... ;-)

Therefore I think the print-composer of QGIS is very helpful, there was
also a talk at FOSS4G recently, dealing with making maps with QGIS and
Inkscape:

http://2011.foss4g.org/sessions/quantum-gis-inkscape-cartographic-tools-attractive-maps

I think very soon you might get the presentations lsides and also a
video of the presentation itself.

Regards, Till

On 30.09.2011 14:18, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 2011-09-30 08:12, Emile Peek wrote:
>> I am a newbie and I am regularly making maps on Wikimedia Commons with Inkscape. I am trying to make sense of Qgis and the many possibilities it offers but to no avail.
>
> Hi Emile,
>
> I'm not into GRASS, but for your info:
>
> I've been working with Hugo Lopes (in cc) to make wikimedia maps with
> qgis and svg: see for example
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Graphic_Lab/Resources/QGis_lesson_3:_Raster_to_vector_and_Change_projection#Export_GIS_Vectors_.26_Raster_layers_to_SVG_.28100.25.29
>
> We have tried to make a plugin to make it possible to export (simple)
> maps as svg in a way that editing in inkscape is easier (keep features
> of a class in one group, keep features in a layer, naming a group the
> name of a layer, naming a point the label name etc etc).
>
> Maybe this can be usefull also.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

--> GO Mobile - jetzt WebGIS auch auf Smartphones <--
       ! Achtung - terrestris hat eine neue Adresse !

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Puetzchens Chaussee 56
53227 Bonn
Germany