[Qgis-user] Re: Closure of forum

alain al.bertho at free.fr
Sun Apr 1 16:25:12 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I'll just describe which QGIS user I'am, and how I try to grab knowledge
on QGIS.

- I'm not a GIS professional, just use some basic features (open a file,
look at some data, sometimes some process). I'm not a scientific user
- QGIS is my favourite, mainly because it's open source, and it's "swiss
knife" functions. I use it every day since a year
- I can write basic python plugins, for very specific needs (proprietary
and weird formats)

At the beginning, I tried to use the qgis forum. I think there are many
useful posts, but it's not easy to find what you're looking for, mainly
because of the search engine. Well, anyway, Google may lead you to the
right post! So, it may be useful to keep the forum online, closed or not.

I realized that the Qgis user's manual contains the essential, and read
it (in french!)...
I surfed to blogs like linfiniti.com
I watched youtube qgis videos
I subscribed to this list and followed new developments from here, and
read many interesting mails that helped me to understand some advanced
features.
For plugins, spent hours in QGIS API to understand "how to", read some
plugins code, and used "copy /paste".

Don't know yet what Stack Exchange is. I'll never use Facebook.

What may be the right criteria to choose the way to organized QGIS
documentation on the web is QGIS (small?) team time. Many new users will
still ask questions they can solve just by reading user's manual,
whatever you do. Learning a new GIS software is also time consuming, but
there are already many ways to get the right information you need about
QGIS on the web. To me, QGIS on the web looks a bit like the software
itself. Many, many things, but scattered. You often need 2 or more
plugins to achieve what you want to do, use differently organized
dialogs, etc... But it's also its strength.
The forum closure won't be an issue for users, as far as they can find
what they need somewhere else. Someone who need information will use
forum, or mailing list, or stack exchange, or what you want, because
that's the way QGIS developers choosed to do it, and that's where it is.

Alain

P.S: Sorry for my awful english.