[Qgis-user] SEXTANTE for QGIS has been released

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 02:54:55 PDT 2012

On 04/02/2012 09:47 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> On 30/03/2012 23:19, Victor Olaya wrote:
>
>> Well, the idea is just the opposite: to use any raster or vector layer
>> in GRASS, directly from QGIS. "Any" in this context means any "normal"
>
> Please remember also that it is possible to use rasters in GRASS
> without importing them, but just registering them (r.external), with
> insignificant loss of performances. Thus, we can more or less forget
> about grass rasters in their native format, for most of the uses.
> All the best.

Just to be clear, I assume you mean here that there is no need to
convert (import) other raster layers to GRASS layers in order to use
GRASS functions? I am asking because this option doesn't help the user
who has his/her data in a GRASS database.

For me the strict and transparent handling of region settings and
projection has always been one of the strong points of GRASS, and I am
curious how the workflow will be when working with external rasters.
Like with internal rasters, an external raster layer does need to be in
the same projection as the current location. Furthermore, raster
functions use the region settings (extend, resolution) of the current
mapset as far as I understand.

When importing, it is possible to create a new location on the fly based
on the raster you are importing. This makes it easier to deal with the
above (I think), e.g., by creating a temporary location. I am not sure
linking an external raster offers the same option (I had a quick look,
but can't find the option, but maybe I just overlooked it). But then,
the normal import function allows to create a location based on a raster
without actually importing the raster. So the two could be combined.