[Qgis-user] Edition of PostGIS table with 2 geometries

Piotr Pachół piotrpachol at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:29:21 PDT 2012

W dniu 2012-04-11 21:36, Micha Silver pisze:
> On 04/11/2012 10:15 PM, Piotr Pachół wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have table in PosGIS, which has 2 geometries: geometry(Point) and
>> geometry(MultiPolygon).
>> Two geometries is because each object/record of table has 2
>> representations: as point and as polygon.
>> In Qgis this table is displayed as two layers: point layer and
>> polygon layer.
>> When I create new object I have problem, because I can't add/edit at
>> the same time two geometries in one record of table.
>> When I add one object in  point layer and one object in polygon layer
>> I have 2 records in PostGIS table - I would like to have one record.
>>

> I can imagine a trigger that would update the point geometry with a
> new polygon's centroid after each insert of a polygon. Is that what
> you expect? the point geometry = polygon centroid?

No, it is not what I expect. I mean that one object can have more then
one representation. It can have in  the same time polygon and and point
geometry (not polygon centroid) but also you can imagine one object with
two polygon geometries: one with exact coordinates (topographic
localization) and the second one distorted (cartographic generalization).
> However I can't see what you expect to happen when you add a new
> point. What polygon are you expecting to be created in the polygon
> geometry column?

I expect to add myself in Qgis both geometries and I would like that
these geometries will be saved in one record of PostGIS table.