[Qgis-user] Measuring distance between points in vector layer

Harald Hofmann harald.hofmann at monash.edu
Tue Apr 17 00:20:07 PDT 2012

Hi,
sorry, I have a rather simple question.

I need to determine the distance in between the points of a vector
layer. I went down a river and had a GPS on a minute scale logging my
position while I was measuring some dissolved gases continuously in the
river water along the flow path.
I have merged the GPS log with my chemistry data from my data loggers
over the measuring time in R and imported it with v.in.ascii.
What I need now is the distance in between the single measuring points
while going downstream for modelling purposes.

I spent about an hour trying to find a way to do so and can't figure it
out. Sorry. I bet there must be a simple solution to that. Using the
measuring tool would be cumbersome as I have about 500 points.

I looked into v.distance with the GRASS plug-in but that measures
distances between two vector layers, right?

Help would be really appreciated. And I am sorry if that has been asked
before but I couldn't find a thread dealing with that.

Best regards,
Harald

--
Harald Hofmann