Svar: Re: [Qgis-user] Re: GPX, OS Grid References and Google Earth

Lene Fischer lfi at life.ku.dk
Mon Apr 23 12:24:31 PDT 2012

You are quite right - old habit using this tool - for up and downloading
to GPS.
But if you use an older GPS, you canĀ“t open a file direct from the GPS.
Has to use the GPS tool.

Regards
Lene Fischer

>>> Lee Hachadoorian <Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com> 23-04-2012 19:25

Can I ask why it's recommended to use the GPS Tool plugin? I was
recently working with GPX data and just used the standard Add Vector
Layer.

Best,
--Lee

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Nick Hopton <nhopton at gmail.com>
wrote:

Des Callaghan wrote

> Many thanks Lene and Nick, this worked a treat. Combined with the
Google
> Satellite basemap, imported using the fantastic 'OpenLayers' plugin,
this
> is
> just what I needed. Many thanks for your help. Best wishes, Des

Just a couple of points arising, Des. It's very useful to be able to
overlay
your own data on OpenLayers to get a visual indication of of how well
it
fits. But OpenLayers use a very peculiar CRS which can make it unsafe
to do
thing like use the tape measure for measuring distances or the area
tool for
measuring areas. The other thing is that closing OpenLayers will leave
your
project CRS in the Google Projection, fix this by resetting your
project
projection to your shapefile layer projection. If you would like some
GB
base maps to use with your GPS data you could try OS OpenData
VectorMap
District Rasters. They are pretty base too, but accurate.

Nick.