[Qgis-user] Changing project crs

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at faunalia.pt
Mon Apr 30 05:19:13 PDT 2012

Hi Stefan,
this is new behaviour in qgis master.

The CRS selector in master had a few inconsistencies form the user point
of view and we (especially Jurgen, Richard and partially me) made an
effort (in Lyon) to find a proper solution.

When otfr in not enabled then no crs is effectively used by the project,
so the easiest (and less confusing for users, in my view) solution was
to disable the selector and give the project the crs of the first added
layer. This is big change in qgis, but this way is also very similar (if
not the same) as it works in other gis packages, both proprietary and
open source.

If the layers are without an explicit crs (like shapes without .prj or
tiffs+world file) then, as before, it is needed to configure how qgis
"reacts" in options-> crs -> crs for new layers.

cheers

-- Giovanni --