[Qgis-user] XYtools needs Excel python modules

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 17:30:11 PDT 2012

Hi Richard,

> Noli, Thanks for your reply, but ... OK I downloaded a .tar file, eventually
> I got a folder
> dist/xlrd-0.8.0/scripts and dist/xlrd-0.8.0/doc & examples and 1000s of
> words of Python documentation stuff.
> I have no idea what to do with what I downloaded. What to I put where to get
> QGIS XYtools to read Excel files?
>
> Sorry don't mean to be dense/difficult but I have no background in Python,
> and if that is not required I am missing out otherwise. I am not aware of
> any other documentation that explains these kinds of issues with plugins.

I suppose you are using Windows.

You see setup.py in the directory that you untar the file?

1. Untar download file (I think you done this already)
2. Open console (i.e. Terminal) in that directory (e.g. xlrd-0.8.0
directory). Be sure you are in this directory / folder
3. Type: python setup.py install

You can see the package installed in your python installation.

e.g. ( in Mac OS X       /python/2.7/site-packages/xlrd   )

4. Do the same step in the other package i.e. xlwt 0.7.4

Noli