[Qgis-user] problems making grass training map via qgis

Samantha Goodchild-Brown samanthag at geograph.co.za
Wed Aug 15 05:40:40 PDT 2012

On 2012/08/15 12:40, Micha Silver wrote:
> On 15/08/2012 11:17, Samantha Goodchild-Brown wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me how to make a training map for supervised
>> classification using QGIS Grass (1.8).
>>
>> I have successfully made the polygons with label attributes (as a
>> grass vector layer - attribute table now looks the same as the sample
>> datasets from installation) but these attributes are lost when
>> converting to raster. Hence my raster comes out as one cell (one
>> value to region extents).
>>

> You should be getting a raster with different cat values for each of
> the input vector categories.
Yes
> In the GRASS toolbox is the module v.to.rast.attr which takes a
> numeric column in the vector attrib table to be used as the new raster
> categories.
yes
> The full options for v.to.rast (not available in the QGIS GRASS
> plugin, only in GRASS itslef)
Ah, confirmation! I was thinking to go to linux - any comments on which
is the better to use?
> include a parameter "labelcol=" to give the resulting raster
> categories a text label in addition to the numeric cat value.
>
> Also be sure to run g.region vect=<your training vector map> before
> converting.
This is new, thanks. This could be a missing link.....

>> If I use Grass GUI (6.4.2) to convert a vector polygon to a raster,
>> georeferencing gets lost.
>>
> That should certainly not be happening. What do you get from v.info on
> the input vector, and r.info on that output raster?
In the process (with this interface) it does complain about a colours
column that it needs extra - have tried a few different methods there.
Indicates it made it sucessfully but 'couldn't resolve the colour table
issue' (with everything I have tried) - then when you zoom to that layer
you are at the CM's and of course - no colours. But I didn't know about
g.region.vect.....