[Qgis-user] Open Data via Open Standards using Open Source: a new tool from NIWA

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Aug 16 22:09:59 PDT 2012

Let's start with an apology from me.... Murphy has outdone himself this time!

NIWA's new super easy to use desktop mapping tool is slightly broken, but this has been a very effective test of the user feedback system on the web page! My email address has seldom been as popular.

It has, of course, worked fine for the last two weeks, but just after I sent the email I added a new service to the NIWA page listing the services: https://www.niwa.co.nz/ei/feeds/report

Instead of giving users a NZ basemap layer with high resolution rivers (from the REC dataset), I broke the XHTML that the Quantum Map NIWA tool uses to get the list of services. Sigh!

So it all works really well, except you can't refresh the list of services. Will get on to this first thing next week!!!

For all those enthusiastic users who can't wait until next week, you can still play, just not quite as easily. Quantum Map itself still works fine, even if the harvesting of data sources doesn't.

You can add the same services manually instead of harvesting them.

Fire up your browser & go to the web page above so you can see the layers which are available.

In Quantum GIS open the NIWA tool, open the data sources tab, click "Add".

Copy & paste the appropriate data source (service) name from the list on the web site into the Name field, choose WMS/WFS as appropriate, copy & paste the URL from the web page into the URL field in the datasource dialogue box, & save it.

This is the same process you would use to add such data sources not listed on the NIWA page.

Once you have done this for each layer described in the docs, you can continue as if it was all working properly.

Again, an embarrassed apology - & enjoy the weekend

Thanks for your patience (& interest)

Brent