[Qgis-user] KML Error when opening in QGIS

WRoberts jwesroberts at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 00:17:45 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I have been opening and working with kml data in qgis for sometime and have
had very few issues. Unfortunately I seem to have run into a problem with a
file sent to from a colleague in the field. The kml in questions opens in GE
no problem and even has a time feature whereby the start and end time is
shown and the user can move the slider to see how and where the device was.
Nice feature but I think it is introducing an error when attempting to open
in QGIS. The kml is a track of a road and was collected using an android app
called GPS essentials. The qgis error states *.kml is not a valid or
recognized data source.

ogrinfo returns
:~$ ogr2ogr -f 'ESRI Shapefile' output.shp Track-082212_83453.kml
ERROR 4: No layers in KML file: Track-082212_83453.kml.
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `Track-082212_83453.kml' with the following
drivers.

When I open the kml in gedit I get an xml type structure.

Am happy to share the offending file with anyone interested in lending a
hand.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Wesley